List of Engines Used in Karting

Briefly inspired by this topic:

I’ll be honest I don’t have much intention of taking this super far at this point, but figured I’s share what I whipped up real quick… It’s a bit of a sprawling mess before I’ve even dumped what’s in my own memory.

https://mm.tt/map/2522876457?t=Me5TjXKkui

Pic

3 Likes

I dropped some gearbox updates

1 Like

Approved engine list for Super National (pre-92). All rotary valve

Bombardier Rotax R 100 DS
Bombardier Rotax R 100 DS A
Bombardier Rotax R 100 DS B
CMP MAC 1 - 100 V
COMER MIK 352
COMER MIK 655
CORONA GIOVANNI MK1
DAP T70TT
DAP T75
DAP T76
DAP T77
DAP T78
DINO 500 8K
DINO 50TT
DINO 545TT
FEBKART FB.S/82TT
HEWLAND ARROW KE-5
Hezemans-RotaxR 100 3P
IAME Parilla 28 M
IAME Parilla SS 31
IAME Parilla TT27
IAME Parilla TT31
IAME Parilla TT32
IAME Parilla TT36
IAME Parilla TT95
IAME Sirio 50
K.K. BLACK POWER 4WTT
KZH 100 A
MAC MINARELLI K100V
MUGEN MK100II
PCR ATOMIKART AKV90
PCR TS 50/3
PCR TS 50/3 New Nordik
PCR TS 50/3 New Rotary
PCR TS 54/3
PCR TS 54/3 New Rotary
PCR TSV 80
PETRI P100LS
PRIOR EME Hornet TTL 48
PRIOR EME Hornet TTS 50
PRIOR EME Mosquito
R.K.D. IT3 C89
REFO C-3
REFO C-5
REFO D-3A
REFO D-3MA
RKD IT 3-C
Solo TT44
TAL-KO ARROW KE 3
TAL-KO ARROW KE 4
TAL-KO S89-3 Port
TAL-KO S89-TT
TAL-KO TKM FF99TT
TAL-KO TKM KA100
TAL-KO TKM KA100B
TAL-KO TKM L92TT
TAL-KO TKM L95TT
TECNO SATURNO RV100
YAMAHA KT-100AX-3

1 Like

http://www.britishhistorickartclub.com/2016/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/CIK-Engine-Homologation-92.pdf

This one I need to delve a bit more into as it was 78 and I never knew Dap did a w/c - http://www.britishhistorickartclub.com/2016/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/1978-New-CIK-engine-Homologation-1.pdf

Obviously there’s going to be 100s of homologated 100s

Btw Alan, if you ever need a homologation fiche from the old times let me know. We have all of the homologation books (both chassis and engines) going back to 1978 if i’m not mistaken.

4 Likes

That’s very generous. I will certainly be in touch!

Ryger EVO, one of the most “mysterious” gearbox engines. I believe 2015 homologation. Does anybody know anything about it?

1 Like

Why yes, yes you did. I didn’t realize the mindmap was editable LOL

1 Like

I wonder why there are only 2 stroke high hp kart engines.

Moto3 is racing 4 stroke engines now of 250cc revving to 14k making 60hp those engines are “affordable”.

I’m sure a smaller 125cc engine can be build that makes good power, sounds good and is affordable can be build…

Link… Moto3 rules | TotalEnergies Competition

Maximum driver age is 28. No Country for Old Men.

Introduced in 2012 to replace the 2-stroke 125 class, the Moto3 category is composed of 4-stroke engined bikes with a maximum cubic capacity of 250cc. Cylinder diameter is limited to 81mm and engine revs restricted to 14,000 rpm. The electronic management system is the same for everyone and engines must not cost more than 12,000 Euros. As in Moto2, each rider has just one bike. Tyres are supplied by Dunlop and limited to 9 fronts and 9 rears. The minimum weight for the rider and bike combined must not be less than 152 kilos. The maximum age of riders is 28.

Karting isn’t controlled by major engine manufacturers like Honda hence why we’re still 2-stroke and dirtbikes/Moto2/3 aren’t. Well dirtbikes still technically allows them, but the elite classes are heavily regulated to favour 4/s (2x displacement allowance)

There’s also a cost aspect, the shift to 4 stroke made costs baloon in dirtbikes. GP I’m not sure compared to 2 stroke, but a moto3 in race spec I think is just under $100K, the base bike is about $60K alone (KTM). Base bike vs base bike, way more expensive today than a 2 stroke Aprilia RS250 or Suzuki RGV, even adjusted in today’s money

Also, since we are talking innovation…I’m really familiar with the shifters so notable engines I think are the Debei Exigo (built from billet), Ryger Revo (due to the whole ring-less piston system) and the Modena that was the first (I believe) to adopt gearbox cooling.

I’m not an expert on the single speeds, but looking at the list the Mugen (Honda) engine I though was a pretty interesting design. What are the others you would highlight as crazy/innovative designs? @Alan_Dove ?

I don’t know anything massively innovative, but here’s a couple of relatively unorthodox designed for DD kart classes

Sonik

Ital SV21

The belt driven front placed rotary valve is a very sought after motor nowadays

A what now?!?! That hurts my brain. Imagine losing a race, because you threw a belt.

Eye Twitch Gif

Also rotary valve has me thinking if anyone has tried a rotary engine for karting?

Rotary meaning Wankel? Yes, 2 of them. Aixro X50 and Italsistem Saetta

Specs & power output?

Sweet!

Italisistem Saetta SV31 Front Rotary Homologation.pdf (334.5 KB)

Italisistem Saetta SV21 Front Rotary Homologation.pdf (1.6 MB)

Power outputs are rarely published for FIA homologated engines from the manufactures (race-bred and tuned etc… so no point really). 25-28hp is a reasonable estimate

2 Likes