Ryan Norberg saves the day in Orlando (A rental karting review)

Just tried the “sim rigs”

Well it looks like they replaced the cool looking CXC simulations rigs with some sort of amuso-rig. It’s on actuators, which is cool, but overall it was a fairly lame experience. Where to begin… wellp every assist under the sun is on so the driving is stupidly forgiving. The ffb felt klacky and didn’t provide any meaningful insight as to what was happening, grip-wise, which is wierd. The pedals also were numb. The motion bit was cool and worked though.

Just got done watching the first three sessions of my Andretti-thon from this evening.

I scheduled six sessions which couldn’t start until 7:29 and were then weirdly spaced, ending about 9:45. Given that it was 6 I asked the lady if she could maybe space them tighter. This brought out a manager, who explained that they have to do 2 sessions between sessions. I said it’s all good let’s do this. I had not meant to cause a fuss.

The experience was great. I really enjoy the track and the cars and enjoy the racing. It is crowded and the skill level varies dramatically. This comes into play as you lap, which feels basically like a quali. You are just trying to put down the fastest lap while dealing with all the traffic.

I was really worried that I’d be knackered but I was fine. And I was wrong to ask them to tighten things up, schedule wise. What it ended up feeling like was, despite a long initial wait, once I got going, I had 10-15 mins between heats, which felt just right.

The driving felt sublime. Grippy, responsive, like my sim. Fun to drive and weave around in the rubber. The limitations of the kart frustrate, a bit. You’d love to see what you could do, unrestricted. The engine hits a limiter, which comes into play once or twice, and the engine behaves oddly when you give it certain pedal inputs… but, once you learn to drive around its limitations…:kissing_heart:

At some point the manager hopped into a race and lost to me, apparently. As I was preparing to leave the pits after my 6th session, one of the guys explained that the manager wanted to have another crack at it and asked me to race again, on the house. :sunglasses::checkered_flag::taco:

We had a good time, racing pretty hard until something g transpired that seemed to require his attention in an official capacity, and he pulled over. It was fun while it lasted. Fortunately, there were some other worthies over the course of the evening. I had some good times trying to get past some of the better drivers.

I also had to be wise about how hard I pushed folk. There were some grandmas, for example. I had to channel @tjkoyen 's teachings and read the drivers driving carefully, and act appropriately. This is because in an early round, I nearly accelerated someone’s mom into a chicane wall.After that, “Oh shit!” moment, I gave berth where needed. But, I wasted no time. Fun.

My grievances remain the same. There’s nowhere to sit between heats. Their scheduling makes no sense. But, the staff is great and the driving is good. I really enjoy trying to go fast and win the leaderboard races. I really like the karts adjustability and the way it handles, too. These are really good electric rentals, imho. And, I really like the canned engine roar. :thinking:

There’s also a cool third floor track, with banked corners, that seems fun. The young lady there told me that I was better off downstairs, for racing. They throttle the karts on the banked track because the tight turns after the banks are just too much for the average patron. Chatting with her, she tells me that she races, and that the staff race after-hours, which is awesome, imho. A cool place.

In the morning I go to OKC, so, the story continues anew. Until then, be well and dream of apexes.

2 Likes

I’m a bit early

Wake up! Time to kart!

Progress made. I have been allowed into the compound where I now hope someone shows up to let me go karting.

8:45 and no signs of life. Email checked. Am here correct day. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Eureka!!!

Just look at how pretty it is. It’s mine for the day. Woo!
The booking system went snafu and Matt isn’t here, fortunately they are able to get me out.

The fella who used to work at OVRP, Daniel, is here and giving a lesson to a lil fella. The gentlemen who set me up in the Kosmic is a shifter kart masters pro, it appears. He’s headed off to race KZ in a Euro championship event soon, so he joined me on track for a few laps. I believe he won masters at the recent USPKS pro race here. He was also kind enough to give me some advice about using less course correction inputs and some line thotts. Very helpful.

Doing surprisingly well, stamina wise, considering all the karting last night and only 4,5 hrs sleep. I am pleased and will be able to race just fine.

Turns out he owns the place. We got to talking and I got all sorts of interesting stories. Nice gentleman! We ended up grabbing lunch after, which was pleasant!

The kart was a brand new Kosmic with Honda gx390. Really nice kart, handled like a dream. The track had wet spots, which dried out by the third session. I had zero complaints. It would have been nice to do the lesson with Matt, but this was terrific, all things considered.

5 Likes

Andre has been on the scene for a good while. Good driver who knows his stuff!

2 Likes

Indeed. A gentleman as well. I figured you knew him.

I declare myself physically fit to endurance race. I did just fine despite the long hiatus. I could use some strength, but that will come as I do more karting.

I really enjoyed my karting this time around. I had just as much fun at Andretti as I did at okc, just in different ways. It sure was nice to drive a new Kosmic as I have always wanted to try a Tony kart. I’d like to come back to okc and race, though. I’m tired of just lapping! Give me action and adventure, send me worthies to battle!

And, I found Sahib’s garage. I did not break in and steal his #10 socket.

@Muskabeatz you got any of them fancy pro tour trophies? I want one but they seem hard to get.

2 Likes

I do have some Pro Tour trophies, but all of mine say either 2 or 3 :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

2 Likes

@Bimodal_Rocket … what you’re saying then is Sahib’s 10 mm socket had already wandered off? :thinking:

1 Like

I am neither confirming nor denying this.

1 Like

:wrench: :rofl:

20characters :laughing:

I’m not sure what turn it’s called but it seems I was on a different layout than the one Ryan is on in this video. After I pass the clubhouse, the straight bit was shorter for me, I think.

1 Like

That’s the short layout. They just push the barrier in so it’s a short straight. The long straight ends with a hairpin, and a harsh corrugated metal runoff on the exit.

Trust me I know.

Yeah now that you mention it I recall the metal ridges on the normal turn.

I really enjoyed driving a new chassis btw. It’s been a bit since I have been in a “race” kart and they do feel nice. The lightness difference is pretty huge. This is also an OTK which I have only driven once before. I really like it. It felt mellow, not stiff, but in a good way. Easy to drive.

@Bimodal_Rocket Glad you got the chance to experience OKC on a speedy. Andre is a really nice guy and so is Vitor. We ran the 4 hr endurance race this past Saturday on the new rentals instead of our own karts. They’re heavy but handled relatively well but varied from one to another quite a bit. My first stint Kart was terrible and pushed horribly in every corner and was 3 sec off the pace of my second stint kart which I ran consistently in the low 1:10’s. I ran for about 50 laps in that one. I hadn’t been in a kart since Dec 3rd’s Orlando Cup race (over 4 months) so needless to say, I was wiped out and pretty sore the next day. The older karts they replaced were quicker to be honest. As previously mentioned, the facility is in a strange industrial park but it’s a great track, fun and challenging. I’m in garage 38 so if you’re ever down this way again, stop by and say hello :facepunch:t3:

1 Like

I know the feeling. My last time in kart was with Elias at NJMP for the 6hr which was about a year ago. I did better than expected but definitely feel it. Did you do the enduro on the new Tony Kart rentals or the Speedy karts? I’ve never driven a tony rental before.

That would be a rough track to enduro. I can imagine that the braking zone end of middle straight (the start finish) can get weird when exhausted. I had a couple close calls there, and there’s not much space to collect yourself before you hit the retaining wall. The chicane by the clubhouse would also be exhausting. It is physical work, getting the kart turned there.

@Sloryd66 @SahibT

Any clue what decent times are for speedy kart on this short front straight layout? Looks like my best laps were mid 58. I feel like I could learn a lot more and get quicker, but that I could hop into the speedy races and not disgrace myself.

A good lap:

And, for good measure…

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx-v-suEYMc5xsHyAkakmKjLQt6eAjk2Wb

It’s not really a karting day without some property damage.

Not sure in the speedy karts as I’ve never driven one. LO206 fast guys are in the mid to low 59’s and those speedy’s are running the Honda GX390 which is close to 50% more hp at 13-14 stock vs 9-10. Trickiest part of OKC is rounding 6, the big sweeper leading into the tight left 7, quickly followed by the near hairpin 8. You have to brake coming into 7, get the kart rotated properly to set up the correct line for 8 but be on the gas well before the apex of 8. I’m always working on improving that sector and it feels great when I come through there properly without running wide and onto the rumble apron on exit. Definitely gives your neck a good workout with the rapid force left, right and left again in rapid succession.

1 Like