What did you do to your kart today?

Noob here - can you please elaborate on what you mean by teardown?

Like what all you remove?

How long does the teardown and reassembly take?

How often do you find issues?

Types of issues?

Thank you.

As far back as it will go. Nearly touching the engine side seat strut. Have the left side front portion of the seat measure 5-10mm further forward. 12-13cm from the back spine of the seat to the edge of the axle. I’m 185lbs with all my gear on 5’8 or so.

Literally this far if I have time between big races.

Otherwise I tear it down to the point of the only thing left on is seat, rear axle, and steering/spindles.

Normally I find nothing but someone my size I tend to break seat struts a lot and our local track requires center striking a set of esses to be fast.

I mostly look for any nylocks that are tired and no longer grab or bolts that are looking worn out.

If you can’t tell I’m a bit over the top so it takes me longer than it should. Usually one evening (1-3hrs) to strip it, one to clean/inspect, and one for reassembly.

5 Likes

I am impressed, jealous, and annoyed by your thoroughness :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Thanks. I think for alot of us this is an expensive hobby and I try my best to keep these expensive things in top shape. The more effort you put in away from the track usually results in better output at the track.

Not sure what 5-100 means but 12-13cm from the top spine of the seat to the axle? I thought it should be in the 19-20cm range for your height, no? And roughly 66cm from the front of the seat to the front of the chassis.

4 Likes

Mike does top end! :checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag:

Sorry typed these out on my phone. I meant 5-10mm of the front left edge of the seat being further forward than the right front. The 12-13cm measurement is D3 in the photo.

I’m not very tall but I’m a bulky guy. So I’m trying to get my shoulders as low as possible (for weight transfer) with a slight decline in the seat and I felt pretty scrunched up in the kart with the old seat mounted flat.

My regimen is magic eraser to the plastic chassis and bumper, wd40 and a rag to all metal. Wipe all the wd40 off, and spray b’laster surface shield onto a rag and clean off all metal. That is the only product I have found to 100% prevent rusting on metal unpainted surfaces. Just make sure to wipe it off before you go to the track, it leaves a shine but a slight slick feeling. And then just a basic Simple Green solution to the rest of the steering wheel, seat, etc… I don’t touch the brake systems though, I am scared of them.

Oh ok that makes more sense. I have the same problem that’s why I’m trying to figure out how to give myself more room although I never considered getting my shoulders down lower. I’d love if I could get the steering wheel higher but I’m already using the tallest steering support I can find.

Problem with that is bumping your elbow on the engine. I am 6’1 with BRUTALLY long arms, and after one day at the track my right elbow is numb. That’s why I am creating my seat adjuster bracket to try and find an optimal seat position to account for lap time and elbow bumping.

1 Like

Try reclining it. I went full scientific and just placed a 13mm wrench under the front edge of the seat and made sure the back edge was still flush with the bottom of the frame rails. If you can get away with it try dropping the seat lower than the rails, but your mileage may vary on how long the seat lasts before destroying the bottom.

You try a T9.5? I previously had my T11 leaned way back but switched to the T9.5 and it allowed my legs to be in a better position while maintaining the lower seating position and the bottom of the seat is parallel to the track.

Sat in one awhile ago and was too reclined for me. I’m not very tall and the T11 just fits me better.

I wouldn’t sacrifice setup/laptime over chasing comfort too much. I always run an elbow pad for KA100s from smashing my elbow. It’s just something you deal with.

2 Likes

I’ll try that and I was planning to push it back 15mm as im 66cm and 66.5 cm to the front of the chassis and my knees are too bent for my liking.

I definitely don’t chase comfort, I just want to win, so testing out every possible seat position gives me peace of mind knowing I’m not leaving laptime on the table. But the elbow pad is a good idea, don’t know why I haven’t gotten one yet.

1 Like

Ever driven a Honda gx390? That’s the worst for elbow banging that I have experienced.

All I have driven is a KA, 206, and a rental, but that gx390 looks bulky and ready to bruise.