What did you do to your kart today?

Waiting for my parts from italy

2 Likes

Picked up valves, springs, carb kits and gaskets enough to freshen up 3 LO206 engines, replaced the threaded rod brake rod on my son’s kosmic with a proper OTK brake rod, rebuilt 2 draggin skin clutches after a rain race, went to put a new chain on the kosmic and was cleaning things up and came to the conclusion i have a Birel axle in this second hand kosmic, and a fairly stiff one at that, so picked up 2 OTK axles. Went to install one and realized the axle bearings are shot, so off to get new bearings tomorrow so i can get this thing back together for this weekend.

4 Likes

Today I finished up my Electric Auxiliary water pump for my shifter. The standard belt-driven pump is still there, of course. In autocross it is not uncommon to be moving slowly through the staging lanes for 2-5 minutes. Or sometimes when you are sitting on the start line a delay of a few minutes holds you there. This wasn’t too much of an issue when we all ran CR125’s but on KZ’s/ROK Shifters it’s a thing. So, I decided to give to give this a go after some others had good luck. I made it so it can be removed in only a few minutes in the cooler months when it’s not needed. This won’t be used while on course, just when I’m forced to put along in staging.

This is an Auxiliary electric waterpump from a Mercedes Benz C-Class. It is powered by a Milwaukee M12 2.5ah battery. The battery is sitting an adapter people make to use these types of batteries in a power wheels (that provides power and grounds). I have a switch on the Nassau panel brackets to turn it on and off. The whole setup maybe weighs 1.5 pounds. There is also enough “flow through” when it is off for the primary water pump to do it’s job effectively while this one is off.

5 Likes

Mounting tires is always fun. Got the new (to me) SM2s mounted up and ready for this Friday’s trip to Whiteland!

4 Likes

Sam, so if I understand correctly the staging bit causes the engine to heat up too much and so you gotta slosh coolant through the system faster? But, once you are going the radiator makes this overkill so you turn it off?

Also, is it basically permanent or can you somehow pop it off the kart or at least the heavy bit before a timed lap? Or does that even matter because you make weight with it on?

Correct. When I am in the staging area, in line to take a run (waiting behind other cars and karts) I need cooling because I am just moving in line, not moving fast enough for the standard water pump to do its job effectively. Once I am at the start line I just turn it off (as during my run, the standard water pump can now do its job).

I am over weight by about 10lbs so another 1.5lbs is not a dealbreaker for me.

2 Likes

Sending my crankshaft for a half part exchange on my vortex ex rok engine .

1 Like

New axle, new bearings, new chain, new springs and shoes in the clutch, oil change, and made the boy get out a magic eraser and go to town on the tire marks on his side pods.

2 Likes

Oooh, that’s a good call. I bet that beats WD40.

Got the CW Kart USA house chassis ready to venture over to Mid-State Saturday.

7 Likes

Working on nicks rotax .

New piston arrived

Preparing one of my KZ engines for sale to a new customer. Fresh top end, fresh gear oil, full carb service, and ready for break-in. :+1:

4 Likes

Hahah lovely feeling to be able to run with the modern stuff even tho the kart is 22 years old :joy:

I’m able the run with the X30 guys with my old 100cc from 1992 on practice days. Hilarious

6 Likes

Happy Dance GIF by Blue Studios

1 Like

Joey Dunlop? :motorcycle::motorcycle::motorcycle::motorcycle::motorcycle::motorcycle::motorcycle::motorcycle:

1 Like

After a weekend of attending a nieces’ wedding in rural north central PA (I live in NW Ohio) I’m finally starting to work through connecting my new Mychron5 (finally got one! :tada: ) to a laptop and see how bad my laps are.

On a different topic, the brat kid :grin: got his first podium at Fremont Raceway Park - second of seven karts. He definitely earned the result with several good passes at a track where passing is difficult to say the least. Now I really gotta get my poop in a group to keep up!

2 Likes

You mention your niece getting married and in the same breath working through relationship problems with your Mychron 5. I’m glad that her happiness has inspired you to seek a more fulfilling relationship with AIM.

1 Like

Put an engine on my kart.

4 Likes

Me too, Dom! Besides, it’s too stinking hot out right now to do anything on the karts.

2 Likes

Pulled the cylinder head to give the valves a light lapping. Had my son (12) do most of the work so he can learn. We had a good laugh when his shoulder made a clicking noise before the torque wrench.

6 Likes