2022 Formula 1 Season: Official Discussion Thread

I doubt they have. Wasnt that mainly for braking stability though?

I wonder how the Max will fare, if the RB’s center of pressure is moved back. Apparently, the 2021 RB set up has the center of pressure moving forward when slowing down, which made the RB more front end responsive on turn-in than the MB. The twitchier RB best theoretical lap time was typically better than the MB but the MB was easier to drive and it could be driven closer to the best theoretical lap time. Periodically, Max would get it all right and come up with a superb lap time. Here’s the link to the Mark Hughes article. Responsive Red Bull vs stable Mercedes - How top two compare - The Race I’m always perturbed by articles that just say there is a difference in handling between the RB and the MB; But what is the difference? The Mark Hughes article helped.

2 Likes

From Reddit.

Did you see the photos of him leaving Abu Dhabi? He looked surprisingly happy leaving, just on his own going off to do his own thing now. I’m interested to see what he does this year, but seeing those photos of him didn’t feel disappointing.

1 Like

Well he just got done driving a racecar. You ever see anyone crying in a racecar?

Apologies to Kenny Powers

2 Likes

Who is interested in doing F1 Fantasy league? I hosted a league last year for my friends. I’m going to create one for KartPulse people. Join if you like! Let’s see who has the best intuition about teams and drivers.

I use the GridRival App. Which IMO has a better interface and points system that the F1 sponsored game.

Tips if you wanna play:

-You pick 4 drivers and one constructor per race.

-It’s salary based, and your salary cap can go up (or down) based on performance of your drivers. Buy low/sell high.

-Picking the right talent driver every race is key, they get double points.

-The scoring is linear, so you want the highest average finish for your whole team. No bonus for picking the winner.

-Read the scoring guide for more tips.

You will have to open this on your phone. Link to join: https://gridrival.app.link/oZhYmDNNlnb

We can split this into another thread if I need to answer questions/general smack talk.

3 Likes

Interesting. I’m in. :slight_smile:

Haas reveals their car first:

Mostly a livery reveal. I think this is just a render and obviously not going to be the complete spec they bring to the first test, but it gives a good first look at what the cars are going to look like this year.

Squared-off nose, really small sidepod inlets as expected, but wide pods in general. Nothing crazy looking. Otherwise looks very similar to the FIA’s mock-up car. Could just be that mock-up car with a few tweaks. We’ll see soon enough.

1 Like

If you’re not subscribed to The Race, now is a good time to check out their channel as they’ll cover all of the car launches for this year. They have really good coverage and insight through the season as well.

3 Likes

So it wasn’t a ‘car’ reveal, it was a computer render reveal

1 Like

Basically, and apparently an old render of the car at that. With budget caps etc… it’s now even more imperative to maintain secrets as long as possible.

So expect a lot of livery launches, but not much else. It’ll be interesting come testing whether they do correlate with the cars shown at launch.

3 Likes

I do like how they painted the front wing slats different colors. Nice livery.

What an amazing time to come out with the Russian flag…
Yeah 100% just a mock up render. Doesn’t even have DRS

Well given it’s Russian team makes sense.

1 Like

Can’t tell if you’re trolling or not Dom, but Haas isn’t Russian, they just are sponsored by Mazepin’s dad’s Russian company.

Haas is the American team. Though technically the race crew is based on the UK. And the car is designed and manufactured in Italy.

Ok so Russian $ then. I assumed it was a Russian team.

I guess we have no American drivers with super licenses and big pockets?

We live in a strange world. What’s next, the US bobsled team sponsored by Gazprom?

I mean, we already have a Jamaican bobsled team in Beijing this year, sooo.

Anyways, yeah that was a big deal last year. Russia is currently banned from being represented in any international competition recognized by the World Anti-Doping Agency after being caught in the 2014 Olympics. There was an investigation last year that the Haas livery contained the Russian flag on it, and the team used the claim “it’s just the company colors on the car” as defence for the styling.

Mazepin also has to race under the RAF, Russian Automobile Federation, until the end of 2022 when the ban is lifted.

This Haas team is owned by Gene Haas, sister team to the Haas NASCAR team. Technically American, the team ownership and primary funding come from America, but the race team is based out of England and chassis is designed by Dallara in Italy like TJ said.

Regarding American talent, Logan Sargeant is the next possible American prospect, currently on the Williams Driver Academy competing in F2 this season. KFJ World Champion in 2015

Ugo Ugochukwu is a Senior Sophomore in the OK competition in Europe that just signed to McLaren’s driver program last year. 2nd in the WSK Euro Series and 4th in the OK World Championship in his debut Senior season.

2 Likes

I hope he gets a seat in F1. That’s a terrific name.

Go, Ugo! :racing_car:

Re F1 and national representation. I guess its like Ferrari. It’s Italian for sure, altho the driver could be a Finn, Brazilian, etc.

The Haas name does identify as American to me, but that’s mostly from other racing disciplines.

One of my drivers used to race with him when he was still in Cadets here in America. Super nice family, good kid, and super smart as well.

Also,

runs with a (old) stock bell helmet the kid has had since like 2018. Pretty badass to throw down with the kids spending a ton of money on fancy helmets and everything, in the same vein to running out of a truck against the teams that bring in their big rigs. Might be a good sponsorship opportunity for someone to have a helmet on the world stage and coming through the fomula ranks as a big American driver.

2 Likes

Just to confuse things even further with Haas, they picked up staff when Ferrari had to displace people due to new cost caps. That means Haas now has its own design team, albeit all ex-Ferrari. So the 2022 car is the first designed by Haas themselves (mini Ferrari team), but it’s still built by Dallara just to keep things confusing. Steiner also noted that they’ll hire engineers an designers short term as needed from Dallara if needed.

2 Likes