Capture your track day

Actual hardware failure of an SD card extremely rare. Having sold it for years in the naughties and (Anecdotally) I’ve never had an SD card go bad in any of my electronic devices, ever, since like, 2001? My SD cards for racing have been through hell over the years.

I will say, it’s not uncommon for someone to have have a corrupt video file, or filesystem on the SD card due to a sudden power loss on the recording device. Often due to a shock. The gopro has a repair mode where it will recover the file on next startup, but if that is interrupted you’ll have to do some software surgery on your computer to fix it.

But I can see how people would interpret this as an SD card issue.

1 Like

We don’t want to mess around with trying to recover video no matter what the failure. I want something bullet proof and I can review the video quickly. If Garmin came out with a camera that AIM or MyChron level data and had a dashboard, that would be sweet. Garmin data is OK, but it could so much better.

The Garmin is so much easier to start recording by just flipping the switch. GoPro were always a pain with the multiple buttons and waiting for it to start up. Not stuff you want to be waiting for on grid when your trying to start multiple cameras in multiple cars.

The new GoPros have changed to use just 1 button to start and stop recording. I’ve heard Dashware is good. You can sync up your video and your Aim data and overlay guages on the video. I haven’t tried it yet, but it seems pretty easy from the tutorials I’ve looked at.

1 Like

I will agree though that that even the Session isn’t super intuitive to use.
Granted, a practice day at the track where we just focus on learning how the camera worked would solve a ton of those questions, but that’s where I should just follow my own advice.

This was my first track use with a 360fly camera, solid mount on the side of the radiator, and mychron data mixed in racerender. Pretty shaky, but then it is an 80cc shifter kart.

I’m not sure what kind of vibration dampener would help.

1 Like

Hot off the presses… hero6 at 4K 30fps. Then put into race render for the nifty gauges and laptimes, then titling/fading done in hitfilm express.

Nick Callan Jr. Tag finals at NJMP. He came in 4th which is a big deal for him! Soooo close to a podium. He finally got passed after making an exhausted mistake in lap 18.

3 Likes

@Bimodal_Rocket Nice job on the camera and video!

I love seeing the difference between everyone camera set ups. I think this is one thing that if more people can get right and share online to showcase what we are doing, the better we can promote the sport. This guy is doing a great job, TrueRacerAcademy. Not saying we have run 3 cameras, film and edit the events of the day, and run a Pateron page. But good camera mounting advice is a good start for the average karter to help promote.

I’ll take pics of my set when I get home today, but I would like to request that people start sharing pics of the mounts and braces for camera setups. I’m wondering what kind of bracing people are using on the underside of the nassau. I think mine is not strong enough to rigidly keep the camera steady. At the track, I was noticing that others had what looks like stronger mounting of the nassus.

1 Like

The Nassau does jiggle but we torqued it down a bit and while it still will drop if you push it, it takes more force.

I am going to try to post a vid with rear camera as well for my finals race to see if I can figure it out in race render.

Reminds me of:

and

Totally get that and I’m an advocate of “do\use what works for you”.

My comment was partly for the benefit of others that experience similar issues… Which are brand agnostic I will add.

1 Like

I’m totally in agreement of having ideas for better camera mounting. That’s been a pain that I’ve had in karting for a while.

Then after that we can talk about why having a video where 7 minutes of you sitting in the pre-grid is a lame idea. We might want to have a thread about simple video editing software like Camtasia Studio that people can use.

Most of that is just laziness in my opinion, because they just pulled off their GoPro and posted straight to Youtube.

download

2 Likes

Also, weigh-in is not that fascinating either.

In general, karting videos are pretty much only interesting to karters who are trying to figure out the best way to get around the track.

Trueracer does a good job of making the video about the experience rather than just the race itself. That takes work, however!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m new to the KartPulse forum. Me and my dad and brother recently started a little vlog to document our race days. We race LO206 at New Castle Motorsports Park. We record it with a GoPro 4 and a GoPro Session 4. I also sprinkle in some drone footage from a Parrot Bebop 2. We have a lot of fun at the track as a family and wanted to document it. Here is the most recent episode if you want to check it out. Feel free to subscribe!

We’ve recorded our races the past few years using a GoPro 4 and a GoPro Session 4 using this aluminum mount (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZHKGRXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1)
on the front of the kart. Of the 2 cameras I prefer the Session 4 because the sound is better

4 Likes

“That takes work” - Nailed it. :wink:

Welcome to the forums, Kacy!

Love the drone shots! I could probably get away with that at etown but NJMP has signs that says “no drones”.

1 Like

Well, if we just stopped check karting forums at work and started editing videos at work instead, I think we see a lot more quality videos. :grin:

imagehttp://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/759/both.png

Time spent on the forums is often better than spent on Facebook IMHO. I’m am very biased tho :joy:

I think just having people trim the fat a little on their videos would help a lot.

Here’s a draft of something I put together from last weekend at the local track, Stockholm Karting center. . It’s a bit meh, but it’s a thing. Starring @Cheeseheads18’s Son and @Noahkoenig134

3 Likes

Very slick! Nice facility too.

1 Like

Simple angle aluminum and swivel camera mount with removable plate used for this.

20180508_175012

1 Like

GoPro’s have had the feature of one button starts since at least the Hero2’s. It’s a menu option that has to be enabled.