Newer Bodywork Types - Advantages?

Now we can 3D print our own parts. Areo improvements it is - especially BEHIND the seat.

1 Like

Easy, a Round surfaces create drag because air doesn’t stay attached.

I have a photo of a round surface vs a aerofoil that have the same drag and its incredible. I will see if I can find it when I get home.

This is the first I’ve heard of the FIA having any kind of place for this. It’s a good idea though…

Yay. Aero thread. I really really really want to put a kart in a tunnel on load cells and back to back test

1 Like

But on that note. I’m a aero nerd. And based on my knowledge is the reason all my karts have dynamica bodywork. The driver is a parachute and being a bit taller getting air around me was important

3 Likes

That’s the exact reason gonna be switching my seats to get my head out of the air more. At the 4cycle showdown it was super noticeable when I’d tuck vs not.

What seat you plan on running?

How about NO for £120, Alex (RIP)?

Also, the Hot Dog bun are a harder plastic, so you are more likely to damage your friend that you throw it at.

3 Likes

The Tillett T9.5t is what I’m going to start using. I’m just too tall at 6’ and fairly long torso.

I see the seat but no one seems to have the seat for sale.

Anybody have a model of a kart with a driver in it? I could run it through a CFD program. Currently taking a CFD class so I thought it could be helpful

1 Like

There are several on grabcad. I’m slowly putting one together in freecad, but it’s not there yet.

1 Like

To do this quick and dirty I highly recommend using photogrammetry. The hard part for me is crunching data like 2-3 weeks.

This is an older topic, but might be of use to those that have not read it already. It includes a coast down test and some CFD work… on older bodywork types.

Unfortunately I don’t have any equipment for that

What about a cell phone?

2 Likes

don’t let the FIA see this for god’s sake.

1 Like

There are some Ansys analysis on older bodywork but nothing on the new stuff. The CIK and all major brands have extensive CFD testing I am sure

I’ll take a look at that. My kart is up in NH right now but when I get time I’ll try it out