I race quite a bit away from home (my garage at the local track). Whether it be street racing or a travelling series. People always make fun of me when I show up with 1 single tote (about 12"x12"x24") with all my tools in it. Literally everything. I run a Briggs 206 on an OTK STV450 and here is EVERY SINGLE tool I take with me on travel weekends.
- Set of Metric Allen wrenches (You really only need 2.5mm, 4, 5, 6, and 8)
- 2x 10mm wrenches, 2x 13mm wrenches, 1 8mm wrench (cant remembe what that was for, but I needed it 1 time). 1x large adjsutable wrench (I use this for making front width adjustments)
- Harbor Freight 1/4" impact with a 10mm socket (for my lug nuts), 7/16 socket (for gear changes), and a 13mm socket (for clutch cleaning).
- Snap ring pliers (really only need these if you are doing a driver change on clutch)
- 2 Screw Drivers (1 flat head, 1 #2 phillips)
- Needle nose pliers
- Side cuts
Liquids: 1 can of brake clean, 1 can of chain lube, 1 pre-measured oil change (and a funnel).
With these tools, I can do jsut about anything: Front width, rear width, caster, camber, gear changes, clutch cleaning. Any larger repairs beyond this, I would need to beg/borrow/steal anyway.
Guys with the giant trailers always amaze me. They have like 10 of everything in those trailers. BUT, I am glad they are there. If I do need an extra tool, I walk up and ask nicely. I dont think a single person has ever told me no. Thats the beauty of the karting community.